Guardiola Insists He Isn’t Leaving Manchester City

City Boss Rules Out Juventus Switch

Pep Guardiola Manchester City manager news
Image: Bogdan Zajac

Reports today are claiming that Pep Guardiola is set to stay at Manchester City for the next four years.

The Spaniard was linked last week with a move to Juventus this summer when an Italian journalist claimed Guardiola was being lined up to replace Massimiliano Allegri at the Serie A side.

However, the Daily Telegraph claims he has told ‘friends’ he is ready to stay at the Etihad for the foreseeable future.

Guardiola himself has publicly ruled out a move away from Manchester City in the short-terms.

“I have two more years here and I’m not going anywhere unless they sack me,” he said after Saturday’s 3-1 win at Watford. “I hope to be here another two years and maybe another. It is impossible for me to move, unless I get sacked. I am not going to Juventus for the next two seasons.”

Allegri is being linked with the Real Madrid job which is expected to become vacant with the expected sacking of Santi Solari this summer. The Italian has won the Serie A title in each of his four seasons in charge at Juve and a fifth looks nailed on. The weekend’s results have left Juve a massive 18 points clear of second-placed Napoli at the top of the table with 24 wins, three draws and no defeats so far. The feeling is that unless he can add a Champions League triumph to that he has done all he can do – at least domestically – and will look for a new challenge with Madrid.

But Guardiola’s resolve may be tested by events off the field. City’s finances are being investigated by both the Premier League and Uefa and a breach of Financial Fair Play regulations could result in a one-year ban from the Champions League. Fifa are also investigating City over the alleged recruitment of players under the age of 18 in breach of rules regarding child trafficking. That could result in a two-window transfer ban similar to that recently imposed on Chelsea.