Koulibaly Remains Top United Target
Manchester United will make Napoli central defender Kalidou Koulibaly their main transfer target in the summer. But interim manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has told Eric Bailly that he remains part of his plans for the rest of the season.
Koulibaly was linked with a move to Old Trafford in the January transfer window, but Napoli president Aurelio di Laurentiis put a price tag of £120million on the Senegal international and that was enough to end United’s interest for the time being.
Solskjaer has given a run in the side to Victor Lindelof, a £30million signing from Benfica in the summer of 2017, after a quiet first season at the club for the Swede.
Executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward was ready to pay £100million for Real Madrid’s France international centre-back Raphael Varane last summer. However, the La Liga giants refused to entertain the prospect of a sale while the Frenchman was similarly cool on the idea.
Harry Maguire, Milan Skriniar and Toby Alderweireld remain alternatives.
Solskjaer Ponders Bailly For PSG Clash
Meanwhile, Solskjaer is reported to have told Eric Bailly that he still remains part of his plans at Manchester United. That’s despite the Ivory Coast international having started just one Premier League game since his red card in the win over Bournemouth at the end of December.
Arsenal and Paris Saint-Germain were both linked with moves for the 24-year-old last month. But Bailly was restored to the side for Sunday’s 1-0 win at Leicester City and Solskjaer is reported to have told him to prepare for next week’s Champions League clash with PSG.
Solskjaer is considering pairing Bailly with Victor Lindelof as he ponders over how to cope with the pace of Kylian Mbappe.
Bailly has also been linked with a move back to Spain. United signed him from Villareal for £30million in June 2016.