German Newspaper Claims Ronaldo Reached Settlement With Accuser In 2010
Two of Cristiano Ronaldo’s sponsors have expressed concern over the rape allegations surrounding the Portugese superstar.
Both Nike and EA Sports have spoken for the first time over allegations that Ronaldo assaulted Kathryn Mayorga at a Las Vegas hotel in 2009.
In a statement released on Thursday, Nike said:
“We are deeply concerned by the disturbing allegations and will continue to closely monitor the situation.”
Meanwhile, EA Sports, when asked by Associated Press over the allegations, said: “We have seen the concerning report that details allegations against Cristiano Ronaldo.
“We are closely monitoring the situation, as we expect cover athletes and ambassadors to conduct themselves in a manner that is consistent with EA’s values.”
Ms Mayorga’s lawyer Leslie Stovall said the 34-year-old teacher had been inspired by the #MeToo movement to speak out about sexual harrassment.
“The MeToo movement and the women who have stood up and disclosed sexual assaults has given Kathryn a lot of courage,” Stovall said.
Ms Mayorga filed a complaint with the Las Vegas police after the incident, but German newspaper Der Spiegel claims she came to an agreement with Ronaldo that involved him paying her $350,000. Her lawyers are seeking to have the agreement overturned.
But Ronaldo has denied the allegations. In a tweet on Wednesday he hit out at his accuser.
“I firmly deny the accusations being issued against me,” he said.
“Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in. Keen as I may be to clear my name, I refuse to feed the media spectacle created by people seeking to promote themselves at my expense.
“My clear conscious will thereby allow me to await with tranquillity the results of any and all investigations.”
He has also been backed by Juventus, the club he joined in a £99million move from Real Madrid this summer.
“Ronaldo has shown in recent months his great professionalism and dedication, which is appreciated by everyone at Juventus,” the club said on Thursday.