Perez Speaks Of Regret At Ronaldo Exit
Real Madrid president Florentino Perez believes that Cristiano Ronaldo will one day return to the club.
Ronaldo quit the Bernabeu in the summer with a £105million move to Serie A giants Juventus. The move came after reports of a rift between the Portugal international and Perez. The Real chief offered to match the £1million a week wages that Juventus were prepared to pay Ronaldo. But the 33-year-old elected to leave, anyway.
It is thought the recent tax tribunal agreement between Ronaldo and the Spanish government also had a bearing on the player’s decision. Ronaldo paid a £14million fine and accepted a two-year suspended jail sentence after evading tax on overseas earnings. He was particularly annoyed that the same scheme had been passed by Britain’s HM Revenue And Customs during his time at Manchester United.
Italy – along with the United Kingdom – has a reputation of taking a relaxed attitude towards players’ earnings from overseas image rights. Spain and France take a harder line.
But speaking to Spanish TV programme El Chiringuito, Perez said he was sorry he didn’t see Ronaldo at Fifa’s The Best awards ceremony on Sunday and he hinted that a future return could be on the cards for the player – although he didn’t say in what kind of capacity.
“I would have given him a hug because, as I have said, the Real Madrid fans are very proud to have counted with Cristiano for nine seasons,” Perez said.
“He is the worthy successor of Alfredo Di Stefano, he is the player who has scored more goals in the history of Madrid, and I think that he is one of those players who will be in the hearts of the Real Madrid fans and will be from generation to generation. He is one of those that one day will come back.”
Ronaldo has got off to a sluggish start at Juventus – at least by his standards. He has scored three goals in six games and was sent off in the side’s Champions League win at Valencia last week. But they have won all six matches and already lead Serie A by three points.