Spanish Players Criticise US Game Plans

Ramos, Busquets Back Statement

La Liga US games

The captains or vice-captains of all 20 clubs in Spain’s top flight have hit out at plans to play matches in the United States.

The news comes less than a week after La Liga signed a 15-year deal with a US firm to play at least one match per season in the United States or Canada.

But in a statement released on Wednesday, the Spanish players union – the AFE – criticised the plan.

“Footballers once again feel marginalized in decision-making,” the statement said.

“We believe their opinions are essential for the growth of Spanish football.

“We demand balance and common sense. If the greatness of football is the passion it generates, why are decisions made against it?”

Real Madrid captain Sergio Busquets and Barcelona vice-captain Sergio Busquets are backing the AFE’s stance.

La Liga’s agreement was signed with the Miami-based Relevent group and it is thought that Miami is likely to be the venue for at least the first game.

No details of the venue, the participants or the number of games to be played overseas have been released by La Liga as yet. However, Relevent CEO Danny Sillman said last week that the first game might be “much sooner than the public is expecting.”