Manchester United News: Barcelona Shelve New Pogba Bid

Pogba Staying At United For The Season

Paul Pogba Manchester United
Image: Anton Zaitsev

Barcelona have accepted that Manchester United won’t be selling Paul Pogba this month and have put any fresh bid on ice – for the time being.

The La Liga side were linked with Pogba earlier this month when they offered €45million (£40million) plus defender Yerry Mina and winger Andre Gomes. But United rejected the offer out of hand and told Barca he wasn’t for sale.

Speculation this week has linked Pogba once again with interest from the Nou Camp. The agenda is being pushed by his agent Mino Raiola who touted the France international to both Barca and Pogba’s former club Juventus.

Reports today claim that Barcelona have given up on signing Pogba in the Spanish transfer window which runs to the end of this month. In truth the Catalan side gave up on signing Pogba once the Premier League’s transfer window closed last week. United had no replacement lined up and there is no financial need to sell.

United are also unlikely to sell in the January window so Pogba will remain at Old Trafford for the rest of the season. The news comes after a training-ground bust-up that resulted in Mourinho telling the Frenchman to hand in a transfer request if he wants to leave the club “again”. Pogba told the United boss to speak to him through his agent if he wants a formal conversation.

Mourinho insisted at a press conference on Friday that Pogba’s application remains first class.

“The truth is we are together for two years and a couple of weeks and I’ve never been so happy with him as I am now, that’s the truth,” he said.

The two men now have ten months to patch up their differences. A successful season for Manchester United is likely to see the events of the past week forgotten about. But the relationship between the pair has been faulty since United signed Alexis Sanchez and Pogba was forced to play in a deeper-lying role which he wasn’t happy with.