Willian Not On Real Madrid’s Agenda
Manchester United’s pursuit of Chelsea winger Willian has been given a boost by the news that Real Madrid aren’t interested in the Brazil international.
Willian has been a United transfer target ever since Jose Mourinho was appointed manager at Old Trafford in 2016. But reports on Monday claimed Real had submitted a double bid of £100million for both the 29-year-old and his team-mate, goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois.
Spanish newspaper Marca, which has close ties to the Bernabeu, reports that there is no interest in Willian from Los Blancos and that Courtois remains their only transfer target at Stamford Bridge.
The news will give a boost to United’s hopes of signing Willian. However, there remains some resistance among the Old Trafford hierarchy to any kind of deal that would bring the Brazilian to Manchester United. That’s largely because of his age. He turns 30 on transfer deadline day – next Thursday, 9 August – and that is thought to be a barrier to any deal being done.
Jose Mourinho is known to be frustrated at the lack of progress on the transfer front this summer and Willian is believed to be one of his targets.
For his part, the Brazilian insists he isn’t looking to move on. Speaking to Globo Esporte in his homeland, Willian said: “I am very happy at Chelsea and I am very happy living in London.”
Lopetegui Rules Out Bale Move
United have drawn a blank with regards to Gareth Bale. The Wales international has long been linked with interest from Old Trafford but Real Madrid coach Julen Lopetegui on Monday ruled out any move away for the 29-year-old.
“He’s very, very happy. He’s very happy to play at Real Madrid,” said Lopetegui and he hinted that Bale could be the successor to Cristiano Ronaldo’s role in the side.
“This is a fantastic opportunity for him to show his talent. “I’ve talked to him like I’ve talked to everyone. He’s with the team, he’s happy, he’s in line with our goals and it’s a start of a new exciting path for us that I’m looking forward to.”
Everton Told To Pay £30m For Rojo
Everton are the favourites to sign Manchester United central defender Marcos Rojo. The Argentina international has been told he can leave Old Trafford – but only if the club’s £30million valuation is met.
Jose Mourinho has five central defenders at his disposal – Rojo, Eric Bailly, Phil Jones, Chris Smalling and Victor Lindelof – and is being linked with a £65million move for Leicester City defender Harry Maguire.
Rojo signed a new contract in March with United. It runs to the end of June 2021 and also contains the option of an additional year. But that was done to prevent him from leaving for nothing next summer and to maintain what the club perceives to be his market value.
The 27-year-old former Sporting Lisbon man is also being linked with newly-promoted Wolverhampton Wanderers. However, Everton lead the race for his signature – as long as they can come up with the cash.
Martial ‘Offered’ To PSG
Manchester United have offered Anthony Martial to Paris Saint-Germain for £70million but their proposal has been rejected by the French club.
Martial has been linked with a move away from Old Trafford though United will only entertain a move overseaso. The Paris United Twitter account believes there was an approach last week from Old Trafford. The Ligue 1 giants were told they can have Martial if United’s £70million valuation was met.
But PSG have rejected the offer. They believe that once Martial’s wages have been factored in the deal would be too expensive for them.
United bought the 22-year-old from Monaco in 2015 for an initial £38million with a further £10million paid so far in add-ons and bonuses.