But City Are Still Interested
Manchester United transfer target Fred says he is aware of interest from Old Trafford but that talks with Manchester City are still ongoing.
The 25-year-old Shakhtar Donetsk midfielder is believed to be the subject of a bid from United that could be close to his release clause of €60million (£52million). City were linked during the January transfer window with a bid of €50million; however, Shakhtar ruled out a move at that time. Their continued participation in the Champions League was thought to have been the reason although it is now believed that Shakhtar regarded the bid as too low.
Fred is currently at a training camp with the rest of the Brazil World Cup squad. Speaking at a press conference on Friday he gave an update regarding his current situation.
‘The talks had been in progress since January with City. Soon after, City and United talked to Shakhtar and my agents,” he said.
“And now, if I’m not mistaken, there was news of a very strong bid from United.”
He also hinted that there would be no decision on his future before the World Cup and that his agent, the former Arsenal player Gilberto Silva, is handling the situation.
“As far as negotiations go, I am focused only on the World Cup. You just think about that, forget about other things. My agents are taking care of it.”
But he went on:
“It is an honour to have the attention of the great coaches of Europe.”
However, the Brazil squad are due to fly to England for a pre-World Cup friendly international with Croatia. The Brazilians will arrive next week and their presence in the north-west of England gives Manchester United and Manchester City the chance to swoop for Fred if necessary. Both clubs use the Bridgewater hospital for part of their medical examinations. The facility is less than 30 miles from Anfield.