No Action Against Mourinho Over Sending-Off

FA Decide Not To Pursue The Matter

Jose Mourinho Manchester United manager news
Image: Aleksandr Osipov

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho will no face no further action from the FA after he was sent to the stands in the side’s win at Southampton on Saturday.

Mourinho was banished from the touchline towards the end of the 1-0 victory after he stepped outside the technical area. Fourth official Mike Jones pushed the United boss back into his zone and called referee Craig Pawson over. Pawson then sent Mourinho to the stands.

Replays showed that while there was encroachment on to the field of play, it was by no more than a few inches. The Football Association have decided that the incident warrants no further punishment.

Mourinho was asked after the match about the incident.

“I don’t know. I don’t know. Craig told me to leave, and I left,” he said.

There was the potential for repercussions following the incident. Mourinho was slapped with a touchline ban in November of last year. He was ejected from the field by referee Mark Clattenburg following an incident with the game against Burnley and he was fined £50,000 for comments made about referee Anthony Taylor before the match with Liverpool. Given that both those incidents happened in the previous 12 months there was the potential for further sanctions.