Conflicting Reports About Coutinho’s Transfer Request To Liverpool
Reports today that Liverpool midfielder Philippe Coutinho has handed in a written transfer request are being denied by sources at the club. The news comes after the Reds’ owners FSG issued a strong statement saying they would not be listening to any offers for the Brazilian.
Sky Sports claimed shortly after the statement had been released that Coutinho had handed in a written transfer request. However, local newspaper the Liverpool Echo quotes sources at the club as being “unaware” of any request being made.
It is thought that while the Echo is being given the official line from the club’s publicity department, Sky’s lead has come from within Coutinho’s entourage.
In their statement this morning, FSG said: “We wish to offer clarity as regards our position on a possible transfer of Philippe Coutinho.
“The club’s definitive stance is that no offers for Philippe will be considered and he will remain a member of Liverpool Football Club when the summer window closes.”
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp was asked about the Coutinho situation as a press conference on Friday ahead of the Reds’ opening Premier League game of the season against Watford.
“If FSG have said something like this, then that’s the statement. I’ve said about it a few times, but maybe it’s not been 100 percent clear. Now you can read it.
“That’s the way it will go, there’s nothing else to say about it. The bigger issue is that he’s not available to play.”
Coutinho has a back injury that will keep him out of Saturday’s game.
Liverpool have already rejected two bids from Barcelona for Coutinho. The second, earlier this week, was for £90million of which £77million would be payable immediately. A previous bid totalling €80million, of which €70million was payable now, was also rejected by the Premier League club.
Coutinho was thought to be insisting on an amicable departure and that he wouldn’t be handing in any transfer request. If that is true then today’s rumours might suggest otherwise.
— Sky Sports News (@SkySportsNews) August 11, 2017