Gunners In New Martinez Link
Porto have already turned down an offer from Atletico Madrid. A Bola newspaper in Portugal couldn’t state the size of the bid only that it was a ‘significant’ cash price plus Atletico’s Mexican striker Raul Jiminez. Porto are looking for a cash-only deal.
Metro newspaper seizes on Atletico’s failed bid as evidence of a forthcoming Arsenal transfer bid. The Gunners are said to be weighing up a bid of £25.7million when the Copa America ends next month.
We’re sceptical that Arsene Wenger would spend so much cash on a player who would be 33 when his five-year contract comes to an end.
Martinez has finished as top scorer in the Portugese league in each of the three seasons since his arrival from Mexican side Jaguares in 2012.
Galtasaray Deny Podolski Interest
Arsenal transfer target Lukas Podolski is no longer wanted by Galatasaray, according to reports coming from Turkey last night. The Germany international was reported earlier this week to be set for talks with the Turkish side but coach Hamza Hamzaoglu claims that Podolski isn’t a target for them this summer.
“Podolski is not on our radar right now,” Hamza Hamzaoglu said on Saturday. “He was in the winter but not right now.”
That doesn’t quite ring true. Podolski has just ended a loan spell at Inter Milan; however, the loan was agreed at the end of December – before the winter transfer window even opened.
Cesare Prandelli, who was Galatasaray coach from July to November last year, told the club last summer to forget about signing Podolski describing him as “a luxury”. After a season to forget for Podolski the Italian was perhaps correct.
The Istanbul outfit were linked last summer with either a season-long loan or an £8million permanent deal only for Prandelli to talk them out of it. He himself was sacked by Galatasaray after a disastrous Champions League campaign.