Manchester United Transfer News Thursday 26 February

De Bruyne Won’t Rule Out Premier League Return

Kevin de Bruyne Manchester United transfer newsFormer Chelsea midfielder Kevin de Bruyne says he would be open to the idea of a return to the Premier League with Manchester United said to be interested.

The 23-year-old moved from Chelsea to Wolfsburg in January of last year for a fee of £18million. But there have been reports he could be on his way back to England, especially if Wolfsburg fail to qualify for next season’s Champions League.

‘Die Wolfen’ are well-placed to make it into Europe’s top competition. They currently lie in second place in the Bundesliga, eight points behind leaders Bayern Munich but, perhaps more crucially, they are 12 points in front of fourth place.

“At the moment I feel very comfortable at Wolfsburg so I can well imagine a contract extension,” De Bruyne told Sport Bild in Germany.

“I never said I would be going anywhere in the summer – that would be unwise. But my biggest ambition is to play for a big European club, one I can win trophies with as much as possible.”

Earlier this month, Wolfsburg sporting director Klaus Allofs conceded that de Bruyne could quit the club without Champions League football next season.

Danilo In United Alert

Porto defender Danilo has turned down a new contract with the Portugese side in a move that is reported to have put Liverpool and Manchester United on alert.

The 23-year-old is out of contract in 2016, but he is stalling on a new deal that may lead to Porto letting him go this summer.

The only problem with that is release clause which currently stands at €50million (£37million). The latest offer includes a slightly higher release clause of around £40million.

Danilo has won 23 caps for Brazil since making his debut for the national side in 2011. He moved to Porto from Santos in 2012 for just over £10million in 2012.

Liverpool and Manchester City are both preparing bids of just £20million. Reports this week have claimed that United are willing to pay the full £37million.

Clyne Drags His Heels

Another Manchester United transfer target stalling on a new deal is Southampton full-back Nathaniel Clyne. The 23-year-old is still refusing to sign a contract extension and could leave St Mary’s for nothing in 2016. A sale this summer is looking more likely and United are eyeing up a potential bid.

United signed Clyne’s team-mate Luke Shaw for £27million last summer but a bid for Clyne will be for a much lower amount given how close he is to the end of his contract.

Rift Between LvG and DgD?

Meanwhile, Spanish newspaper AS claims that a rift between Louis van Gaal and David De Gea is the main reason behind the Spaniard’s reluctance to sign a new deal at Old Trafford.

AS claims the pair haven’t spoken ‘for some months’ and it points to the United boss’s refusal to praise De Gea as evidence that all is not well.

“I think he doesn’t save many points because he’s my goalkeeper,” van Gaal said recently when asked about de Gea.

“His obligation is to hold balls and you are thinking that is an exception for other goalkeepers and it’s not. I’m sorry for that.”

United are reported to have offered the keeper a new deal worth £200,000 a week. But the deal also includes a £50million release clause, something De Gea wants reduced.

Real Madrid were said to be interested, but that interest has waned in recent weeks with the Spanish side happy with their current keepers Iker Casillas and Keylor Navas.