Van Gaal Won’t Rule Out Manchester United Transfer Move For Bale

LvG Deflects Question Over Bale

Gareth Bale Manchester United transferManchester United boss Louis van Gaal will not confirm or deny his club’s interest in Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale.

The news comes after Sky Sports’ Spanish football expert Guillem Balague claimed in article in a Spanish newspaper that United are willing to pay £120million to the Spanish league leaders for Bale. Writing in the Madrid-based AS today, Balague suggested that United were willing to smash the world record transfer fee to bring Bale to Old Trafford.

Van Gaal was challenged about this at today’s press conference at Old Trafford. In a response that will do nothing to dampen speculation about United’s interest in Bale he suggested that while he wasn’t ruling in the possibility he certainly wasn’t going to rule it out, either.

“I cannot discuss that with you,” said the Dutchman. “I discuss that with my CEO and not with anyone of the media.”

Bale was linked with United prior to his move to Real in 2013. But their interest waned when he made it clear that he wanted a move to the Bernabeu.

However, Balague’s article in AS is somewhat at odds to a posting on his own Twitter feed last night. In it, the journalist suggested that there was no interest from United in Bale while he pointed out that his release clause is £1billion (it is actually €1billion – around £800million). Hours later, his article was posted in the Spanish newspaper.

Real are reported to be looking to sell Bale to fund the purchase of Sergio Aguero and Marco Reus next summer.

An online poll on the AS website today showed that 53.75percent of the 30,000 readers polled would prefer to see Bale sold for £120million. The other 46.25percent want him to stay.

Bale has played 66 games for Real in a season-and-a-half with the club scoring 33 goals and providing 24 assists.