Chelsea Transfer News and Rumours Thursday 21 February


Competition for Chelsea Target

Chelsea will face a fight for Atletico Madrid striker Radamel Falcao if they want to lay their hands on the La Liga hotshot this summer as they look set to face competition from Paris Saint Germain – and even from Atletico themselves.

The Colombia international is one of the hottest properties in Europe at the moment and is being tipped to leave the Vicente Calderon Stadium this summer. Chelsea are widely regarded as favourites to snap him up although they can expect to pay around 60million euro (around £54million) in a move which would break the English transfer record. However, reports in France and Spain claim PSG will try and sign a striker they failed to capture last summer.

Spanish newspaper AS says that reports in the French press claim Falcao is willing to consider a move to PSG as it would enable him to play alongside Swedish striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic, currently top scorer in Ligue 1. Falcao reportedly turned down the chance to move to PSG at the start of the season because the project didn’t appeal to him but Ibrahimovic’s success has apparently turned his head and he is willing to consider a move.

But while AS claims the story originated in the French press, media outlets in France are claiming AS as the source which sounds as though the whole idea is nothing more than speculation.

Earlier this week, Falcao claimed he could remain with the Spanish side until his contract ends in 2016. “I have a contract with Atlético for another three years and this is by far the best thing for me,” he said. That has previously been considered to be the least likely option with the striker keen on a move but with Champions League qualification in sight for Atletico he could be persuaded to remain with the La Liga outfit.

Falcao has 20 goals in 21 league games for the Spanish side this season.

Son Agent Claims Chelsea Bid

The agent of Hamburg forward Son Heung-Min claims there has been a bid from Chelsea despite the Bundesliga club claiming yesterday there have been no enquiries at all for the 20-year-old.

Reports earlier this week claimed bids of around £10million have been lodged for the South Korea international, a claim that was denied yesterday by Hamburg chairman Carl-Edger Jarkow, but Son’s agent Thies Bliemeister claims both Chelsea and Manchester United have already put in bids for Son and he also claimed that the youngster has agreed a new deal with Hamburg which could keep him at the club until 2015.

“A transfer next summer? He has signed a new contract with Hamburg SV extending it for one year, but there have been many offers for him as from Manchester United and Chelsea.”

Hamburg director of football Frank Arnesen said yesterday that talks are still taking place over a new contract.



Posted in Chelsea, Premier League Tagged with: , , , , , ,

Categories