Arsenal have had a bid of 40 million euro (£35 million) turned down for Borussia Dortmund midfielder Mario Goetze according to reports from Germany.
Kicker magazine reports that Arsenal put in a bid for the 19-year-old midfielder last week but that it was immediately turned down by the German champions.
Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke refused to comment today although the club have repeatedly said that Goetze is not for sale.
Earlier this year Watzke told a German reporter “If Barcelona or Real Madrid bid for a player, we will be fair and talk to the players concerned, but when it comes to Goetze, I can say this – he is not for sale.
“We would definitely turn down even a £20m offer. Mario has a contract with us until 2014 and he will remain in Dortmund for at least that long.”
Last week, ahead of the draw for the group stages of the Champions League, the club’s sporting director Michael Zorc said: “We know that teams from Pot 1 [in the draw] are very interested in Mario.”
Arsenal were one of those teams and it appears they had already made their bid when Zorc made those comments while Manchester United are also believed to be interested.
Borussia won the Bundesliga last season for the first time since 2002 and on Monday they reported profits of 9.5 million euro on turnover of a record 136.4 million euro.
Goetze made his debut for Dortmund in 2009 at the age of 17 and was promoted to the first team last season. He is already a German international having won seven caps for his country.